Home Divorce Child Custody Help

Child Custody Help

Child Custody Help

Child Custody Help: Tips for Parents Going Through a Custody Battle

Child custody battles can be emotionally draining for both parents and children involved. It is important for parents to understand their rights and responsibilities when seeking custody of their children. Here are some tips to help parents navigate the custody process.

Understand the Different Types of Child Custody

There are two main types of custody: legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody refers to the parent’s right to make important decisions for the child, including education, medical care, and religion. Physical custody refers to where the child lives and who is responsible for their day-to-day care.

In some cases, joint custody may be awarded, where both parents share legal and physical custody of the child. It is important for parents to understand the different types of custody and what each type entails.

Seek Legal Advice

Navigating the child custody process can be overwhelming and confusing. It is recommended that parents seek the advice of an experienced family law attorney. An attorney can help parents understand their legal rights, the custody laws in their state, and the best course of action to pursue custody of their child.

Document Everything

Parents should keep a record of all interactions with their ex-spouse regarding custody. This can include emails, text messages, and phone calls. It is important to keep a record of any agreements or disagreements regarding custody, as well as any instances of conflict.

Be Prepared for Court

If the custody battle goes to court, parents should be prepared to present evidence to support their case. This can include documentation of their involvement in the child’s life, their ability to provide a stable home environment, and any other factors that may be relevant to the case.

Put Your Child First

In any child custody battle, it is important to remember that the child’s best interests should always come first. Parents should work together, whenever possible, to create a custody arrangement that benefits the child and allows for both parents to play an active role in their child’s life.


Child custody battles are emotionally taxing and can be challenging to navigate. However, with the help of an experienced family law attorney and a commitment to putting the child’s needs first, parents can successfully navigate the custody process. By understanding the different types of custody, keeping thorough documentation, being prepared for court, and focusing on the child, parents can work to create a custody arrangement that best suits their child’s needs.

Today’s divorcing spouses increasingly figure out a settlement for child custody that works for both parents.

However, not all custody agreements are adhered to, and not all parents are willing to make an agreement in the first place.

If you are going through a custody battle, you may need assistance.

Finding child custody help can make it easier for you to get or retain custody of your children even if your spouse has made allegations against you.

It can be hard to know who to turn to for child custody help, but this guide can explain your options and how to find help with your child custody dispute.

Domestic Violence and Abuse

Abusive, violent homes can lead to psychological problems for an entire family.

If your ex-spouse was abusive to your or your children, you may want to seek not only sole custody but a restraining order that will allow you to continue parenting without interference or visitation from the other parent.

Because abusers often make their victims feel powerless or make threats against their spouse or children, they may feel trapped and unable to seek child custody help.

The good news is, if you’re facing domestic violence, you may be able to find help at no cost to you.

Many local domestic violence victim advocacy organizations and women’s shelters offer abused women and children support services.

You may be able to find not only child custody help during your hearings, but also support to obtain a restraining order and file it with the court.

Parental Alienation Syndrome

When divorce gets contentious, not all allegations are as they seem.

It can be hard for parents to seek child custody help when one parent has falsely accused the other of abuse.

In some cases, one parent even “brainwashes” the children into acting out against an ex-spouse.

When children turn away from a parent because of the actions of their other parent, it may be a relatively recently understood phenomenon called “parental alienation syndrome.”

Most commonly, this syndrome involves children feeling alienated from their fathers. You may need child custody help from a father’s rights group if you suspect your child is suffering from PAS.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

Not all child custody cases require legal representation, but lawyers are one of the best sources of child custody help that you can find.

You may want to find a lawyer who can help you to understand the effects of domestic violence or PAS on the court system, and how you can make your case understandable to the judge.

Another circumstance where you may need to talk to a lawyer for child custody help is if one spouse is relocating.

Most of the time, if a parent who is the primary caretaker of a child wishes to move—across town or across the country—the judge will allow it.

This is doubly true when a parent wishes to move to take a better-paying job opportunity or otherwise provide better for their child.

You may wish to talk to a lawyer for child custody help and to better understand the likely outcome of your case.