VIRGINIA CHILD SUPPORT LAWS & REGULATIONS UPDATE 2023
A DECADE OF CHANGE: AN OVERVIEW OF VIRGINIA’S CHILD SUPPORT LAWS AND REGULATIONS TIMELINE (2013-2023)
Virginia’s child support laws have seen important changes over the past decade to ensure children’s financial well-being while considering parents’ circumstances.
2013: Child Support Guidelines Update
– Regular updates of child support guidelines to reflect economic realities.
2014: Efficient Payment Disbursement
– Implementation of efficient methods for disbursement of child support payments.
2015: Holistic Child Well-being Focus
– Emphasis on the overall well-being of the child in child support considerations.
2016: Strengthening Enforcement Measures
– Introduction of robust enforcement measures for consistent child support payments.
2017: Income Verification Enhancements
– Introduction of improved income verification methods for accurate calculations.
2018: Simplified Modification Procedures
– Simplification of child support modification procedures for parents’ convenience.
2019: Responsive to Changing Dynamics
– Consideration of changing family dynamics in child support calculations.
2020: Online Resources Accessibility
– Provision of online resources for parents to manage child support cases.
2021: Ongoing Guidelines Review
– Continuous review and updates of child support guidelines.
2022: Shared Parenting Support
– Promotion of shared parenting arrangements for fair support calculations.
Virginia’s child support regulations reflect its dedication to children’s well-being and parents’ responsibilities, ensuring equitable and consistent support calculations.
Virginia child support authorities will take a number of actions against delinquent parents including credit reporting and suspending state licenses.
Wage garnishment is the common means of paying child support and the state is able to disburse these payments to the custodial parent.
If the parents cannot determine a visitation agreement, then the court will decide on their behalf with some weeks in the summer, alternating weekends and holidays.